Author Topic: PlayStation 4  (Read 3932 times)

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
PlayStation 4
« on: October 30, 2014, 06:38:41 PM »
Finally got around to buying one. Even as a PlayStation fan, I'm still very impressed. Sony definitely got it right.

Only game I have right now is Need For Speed Rivals, so if any of you out there on PS4 have t and wanna play, let me know. Will be getting GTA V when it's released.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: PlayStation 4
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 07:32:18 PM »
My next console will 100% be a PS4. I don't see myself buying an Xbone at all. Maybe when they're in the $150 range for a used console.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 08:22:28 PM »
I have to be honest, I've never even been in the same room as an Xbone (well, unless you count the ones in the store), but from everything I've read and heard, it's just not an impressive piece of equipment, especially for the price they were asking. Microsoft being in their constant backpedal, dropping the price, dropping the "mandatory" Kinect, dropping various lauded features, etc to make the thing more appealing definitely supports the idea that the Xbone just isn't up to snuff. I am glad that they are making changes based on feedback, that shows signs of growth, but they were definitely over confident.

The PS4 is just great. It just looks and feels like an incredibly well designed machine, with a very intuitive and good looking UI, and everything functions so seamlessly and quickly that I might actually attempt to use some of those social networking features. Everything is so seamless, it's just really hard to describe, you just kinda have to see it in action to understand what I mean.

I was gonna wait longer to get one but I'm glad I have it now.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 09:45:11 PM »
The things you stated about Microsoft and the Xbone are the same reasons I'm not interested as well. I'll probably buy a used one on Craigslist in the future for some of the exclusives but I won't directly support Microsoft.

I've seen a bit of the PS4 in action with streamers on Twitch and it's pretty impressive.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 07:43:22 PM »
Well, this is off to a good start. I've turned the thing on a total of 3 times since I bought it, and it's already broken. Won't turn on. Beeps, blue light turns on, I can hear the hard drive engage, then it immediately shuts back off. Definitely a hardware problem and all of the FAQs I've found only tell you how to fix software problems.

I'm gonna exchange it tomorrow.. problem is that inFAMOUS: Second Son is stuck inside it. If Best Buy gives me any shit at all, I'm going to demand a full refund for the PS4, both games I bought, my preorder of GTA V and I'll go buy one from somewhere else.

Fuck.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVi15T-nREE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVi15T-nREE</a>

(video edits are being processed so in the mean time I apologize that it's sideways, lol)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:22:00 PM by 00XJ »

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 08:54:32 PM »
It won't even eject without fully powering on? That's pretty dumb.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 09:00:41 PM »
Won't do anything. Seems to me to be a power source issue, if I were to take an educated guess. On the phone with Sony now, they suggest taking it back to Best Buy for replacement... sending it in to Sony would mean they send me back a refurbished one. Mine is 4 days out of the box, not sure how I feel about that.

There is a way to manually eject apparently. The service rep sent me this link:
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5061

Easy to do, just need a tiny screw driver. So, I got my game back.

I'll take it back to Best Buy tomorrow and get a new one. If this happens again, I'm going to send it to Sony and make sure they send me a brand new one in return.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 09:16:08 PM by 00XJ »

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 09:36:35 PM »
I was figuring there had to be a way to manually eject although I've never tried with a slot-loader.

And definitely take it back to Best Buy. They shouldn't even question it.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 11:16:34 PM »
Still kinda shitty. My PS3 is a fat 60gb model, never had a single issue with it in 5 years of ownership.

Oh well. Not all PS4s are defective, I'm sure I'll get one that works.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 09:10:38 AM »
Sure. Hell, the PS3s had a bad run for a bit with the YLoD.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 12:10:57 PM »
Had to return it, BB didn't have any in stock other than the white Destiny bundle, and I'll be damned if I'm buying an all white PS4 when everything else on my TV stand is black.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 12:50:02 PM »
I'm sure there will be a great online deal on one for Black Friday.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 08:00:38 AM »
Huh, this is honestly the first bad thing I've heard about the PS4, hope you get it resolved dudebro.... :(
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 04:24:08 PM »
There are some known issues, one was firmware related... It's possible that's what happened to mine, as they just released the hot fix yesterday. Some PS4s bricked because of it, some could be saved. Mine bricked.

Picked up a new one last night, so far so good, my game saves are in the cloud too so once I figure out how to access them I can pick up right where I left off.

Played for a while last night, gonna run the thing at least once a day to ensure its not gonna crap out right away like the last one.

1fastII

• KWEH?!
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 01:46:49 PM »
I'm waiting until Silent Hills comes out before I get one. Their prices will probably have come down by then, too.

MadFairlane

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 04:21:40 AM »
Picked up one tonight. Lol
1967 Ford Fairlane - Sold
2011 Mazda BT50 - Current
2008 Toyota Aurion ZR6 - Sold
2017 Mazda CX-9 GT - Wifes

speedy_2

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 10:07:13 PM »
Not sure which way to go.  Selling the PS3, PS2 games, the dead "Fat" PS3, and the PS1 I have.  I was set on an Xbox one with Forza 6.  But, saw a PS4 demo today and it looks gorgeous.  Any thoughts?

Mostly will be used for Netflix, Hulu, Movies, and Racing games.  Gran Turismo has let me down, and nothing interesting me on the PS4 really. 

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 09:31:01 AM »
Well, if Forza is your thing, Xbox is the way to go. I remain convinced that the PS4 is the better machine (sales numbers would agree), but that's irrelevant if it doesn't have any games that interest you.

Microsoft has announced plans for making Windows 10 and Xbox cross compatible, so if you have a good PC, you'll be able to play Xbox games on it soon.

revolt015

• (;ω;`)WHATS GOING ON(゜д゜;)
    • (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2016, 10:21:54 AM »
Theres rumors of upgraded versions of both the PS4 and Xbone going around so be careful out there

_(: 3 ⌒゙)_ (⌐■‿■)  し(*・∀・)/ The valves and the piston had a little party and they all ended up with a hangover. d(˚∇˚d)  (n∀)η ε=ε=ε=┌(;*Д`)ノ

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2016, 10:55:19 AM »
It's no rumor about the PS4. It's definitely happening. However, Sony claims they will not be allowing developers to create games in a way that will perform better on the "new" PS4 vs the current model.

speedy_2

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 01:58:49 PM »
Well, if Forza is your thing, Xbox is the way to go. I remain convinced that the PS4 is the better machine (sales numbers would agree), but that's irrelevant if it doesn't have any games that interest you.

Microsoft has announced plans for making Windows 10 and Xbox cross compatible, so if you have a good PC, you'll be able to play Xbox games on it soon.

Hmm.  I have a Asus G73S Laptop.  Upgraded to windows 10 not long ago.  I've also seen Assetto Corsa is going to be released in August? and Project Cars is already out.  For both consoles.  Is Forza enough to sway me to the Xbox? I still don't know.   Wondering if those 2 are good enough for me to stick with the PS brand.  Also, is the new stuff coming a software update? Or hardware?   

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2016, 08:50:11 PM »
PS4 is getting an upgraded version, a whole new console a-la PS3 slim, only instead of being the same machine in a smaller body, it's going to be a slightly more powerful machine in the same body- they're mainly going for up-scaling to 4K res, and stuffing in more memory as well.

They say the biggest difference will be frame rates and 4K up-scaling, beyond that it's not going to be much different. Minor performance enhancements.

They said they won't have a problem where "PS4.5" games don't run on PS4, rather that PS4 games will simply benefit from the upgrade with better performance.

speedy_2

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2016, 10:30:04 PM »
PS4 is getting an upgraded version, a whole new console a-la PS3 slim, only instead of being the same machine in a smaller body, it's going to be a slightly more powerful machine in the same body- they're mainly going for up-scaling to 4K res, and stuffing in more memory as well.

They say the biggest difference will be frame rates and 4K up-scaling, beyond that it's not going to be much different. Minor performance enhancements.

They said they won't have a problem where "PS4.5" games don't run on PS4, rather that PS4 games will simply benefit from the upgrade with better performance.

Cool. Well right now I'm still happy with my Panasonic Plasma.  I will go 4K, but not until a good quality OLED drops in price. 

speedy_2

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2016, 02:12:19 PM »
Now I've gone full circle back to a PS4. But.....  There's really nothing online about what exactly is in the new version of Gran Turismo coming in October(I won't hold my breath). Project Cars looks great and is available on both platforms.  If I can score an Xbox One from a guy I do work for that owns a pawn shop, I may go that route.  Maybe $100 or less or even trade him for some work like I usually do.  Then, get a PS4.5 when they release.  Otherwise, there would be no benefit(for me anyway) to getting a PS4 now.  Plus, if GT Sport does come out with the VR system, that would probably be a good thing to pick up then, especially if they bundle the PS4.5, VR, and GT together. 

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2016, 08:38:02 PM »
I've lost all faith in the GT series. GT5 was a huge let down. A PS2 era game with SOME higher res graphics.

If GT7 or whatever this new one is called doesn't feature an entirely new physics engine and satisfactory damage modeling, it's gonna fail hard.