Author Topic: Just A Neon...Tokyo's 05 SRT4  (Read 7891 times)

Collins

Just A Neon...Tokyo's 05 SRT4
« on: October 17, 2014, 11:12:59 AM »
so i started this project many years ago by lending a hand to a friend.

alot of the final overhaul was done in a storage locker, non heated in the cold alberta winter!

fast forward a few years, things change the car never really got final touches no dyno numbers no full tune to see what it could do! the orignal owner had since built a 660whp ZL1 camaro, sold that and begun project R35 GTR.
i had been working a lot and decided to pick up the neon and finish it and see what it can do.

its got a built proformance auto werks 'race' block with crower pistons/rods in a new oem mopar block Clevite bearings balance shaft removed
paired with their 'race' head which is 1mm over intake/exhaust  BC springs/retainers, 5 angle valve job and somr port work.
bolted to it is the stage 3 transmission from the same company, criro treated and shot peened extended 1-3-5 shift selector to prevent the dreaded 3rd gear slip. also has a quaife LSD.

this summer i noticed a bit of noise in the clutch which was a clutch masters fx400, had about 4000km on it, and the car isnt really 'turned up' as of yet, well quite shocked when the clutch was pulled out what we found.

the reply from clutch masters was it looked like it could have been due to excessive down shifting..... needless to say i said to hell with it and went with an AGP HD setup and boy does it feel great!

been fighting little gremlins most of the summer, had the chance to throw it on a dyno during a car show on fathers day, exhaust manifold gasket distroyed and turbo gasket broken.

so with those discusting leaking gaskets and the car sounding like complete ass i made 330hp to the wheels @ 12PSI, normally the car runs 22psi on the street tune. lots more left in it i think, plus plenty more boost to throw at it, then race fuel.
running an AGP zeta 3.0 turbo

heres how the car looks now, got bored and did the wheels with plasti dip, may do the whole car this winter.

carbon fiber wingless trunk, cf hood.

aeroforce scan gauges, monitor coolent temp, throttle %, knock, and battery voltage on the piller, then air fuel and boost on each side of my cluster.

end of the year i got the car running half decent decided to say to hell with it see what it could do on a track.loaded up on a trailer and made the 4 hour drive south from fort mcmurray to edmonton to run on a friday evening street legal.

figured i would bring my slicks to have some fun 26x8.5x15

being responsible and i wanted to have some fun, i figured ide make a run on street tires before i bolt the slicks on because i figured ide snap an axel, well she broke on street tires first run, mopar stage 3 axels that had been cryo treated. ah well loaded er on the trailer and enjoyed my weekend helping out for the drift weekend!

new stock axel is back in it to finish off the year, the solution there will be a set of drive shaft shop stage 5 axels, $1500 bucks and they are good for 750 to the wheels.  the end goal/hope for the car is to be 500whp range on pump fuel. completely useless on the street but its so much fun!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 11:27:24 AM by Collins »

Nacho

• Ciggy butt brain
Re: Just A Neon...Tokyo's 05 SRT4
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 12:57:55 AM »
My cousin in Edmonton has an SRT4 thats up around there in power, breaks axles like crazy. Fastest vehicle Ive ever driven.

Collins

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 02:43:41 PM »
i just picked up the DSS stage 3 axels good for 550 so i should be fine. i broke my first axel at castrol race way at the end of the year and that was half way my fault!

Nacho

• Ciggy butt brain
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 08:56:25 PM »
Hows it on clutches at that power level?

Collins

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 09:23:52 PM »
back from the dead!
Tossed on some new wheels 18x8.5 +30 with 225-40-18s, had to roll my fenders and use a 3mm spacer to clear in the front.

new custom license plate for the car and a slip from the track (pre tune) falling on its face pulling mad timing up top went 12.6@113mph

had a tune done two weeks ago (had some issues with cams) will figure that shit out in the winter for now i plan to enjoy the car, on 112 octane car made just over 400 to the wheels (on a heart breaker) at 22psi.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 10:47:45 PM »
That thing looks like stupid fun

Collins

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 01:09:19 AM »
just after the tune my buddy who put in some major wrench time on the car wanted to see how the changes were, he took the car while i was at work one day and this was the result!
https://youtu.be/QWCqmdeVJhY

also last sunday on fathers day my town had the annual fathers day car show, so i figured idea toss the neon up!  there was an old guy with a new C7 vette who was being cocky as hell when they had to turn my car around to back it up on the dyne because FWD saying rice burners were junk and stuff. well i went and put down 424 whp and 380tq 
https://youtu.be/0yG-XBkRQY4

he went next.....made 401, so needless to say myself and a dozen other people sure as hell didn't let him hear the end of it! the ol LOLNEON works pretty dang good!

and the little compilation video made, at 1:12 in diff angle of the dyno pull!
https://youtu.be/qeLwsWsad7w
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 01:12:04 AM by Collins »

Collins

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 01:20:31 AM »
also nacho, car is great ACT HD 6 puck clutch has been fantastic since last summer! we shall see how this summer goes as we bump the power up and up

wantahertzdonut

• You won't like me when I'm hungry.
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 09:23:34 PM »
That license plate alone is awesome.  Nice work on everything else!
Why do the loudest stereos belong to those with the worst taste in music?

Collins

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 09:54:00 PM »
After the dyno leaving the car show to circle the block and re enter I had to give it a poke!   

https://youtu.be/B8oYbHFxvvU

Collins

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 09:18:37 PM »
Well drove 500 km each way to race last night, no issues! Car ran great and got 38.5mpg!  New best time 12.3@117 on a 1.9 60 foot next up is to get launch control. And a wot box. 
Again my buddy was there to video and made a cool Little edit, also got me drilling a c6 z06 for my fastest pass!
https://youtu.be/tNDyMnnd5fQ
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 09:19:24 PM by Collins »

Collins

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 07:58:43 PM »
well had some pretty bad luck about a month ago, coming down an on ramp not really cranking on it, and the car died. crank sensor and cam sensor code.

turns out the timing belt (under 20K) stripped its self....and my valves decided to customize them self!

we cut the belt but you can see how many teeth we lost!

pulled the valve cover off...

all the roller rockers on intake side wernt attached anymore :/

head pulled, valves out.

Custom brian crower intake valves haha

few marks on the piston nothing that cant be fixed before going back together

heads gone to get hot tanked and inspected, all is well!

ordered new springs new valves new valve guides, new dcr 5 layer gasket and DCR top end gasket kit, new OEM crank dampner, and a gates racing timing belt, new APR studs, new oem tensioner and pully and water pump. hopefully the car will be back together in a few weeks, the canadian doller being low really kicked my ass on buying american!  ah well the LOLNEON will live on.

may actually get a new turbo, currenty turbo is an agp zeta 3.0 flows 58lb/min   looking at a new agp turbo that flows 77lb/min decisions decisions

Also i have to add, i have some absoutly amazing friends, the motor started coming off as i began working 21 12 hour days + travel, ive got guys willing to go to my house and take the car apart and help the process and its an amazing feeling, sometimes i feel like they want the car together more then me! haha
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 08:00:13 PM by Collins »

Collins

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 11:31:28 PM »
car went back together a few months ago, we realized the exhaust cam was out by 5 degrees by grind.

so put it back together 17psi 16 degrees timing (same tune as earlier in the season where it made 350ish on pump gas) and the car made 400 to the wheels on pump gas.

then i had some more shit luck, adjustable cam gear backed off and cost me a set of valves :/ thankfully the head is ok and new valves are on the way and the road for 500whp continues!

overall its shitty, but iam learning more and more every time, this time i tore it all apart myself and took the head off and stripped it down myself. its kept me busy and keeps me learning. this car is a love hate relationship.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 11:33:19 PM by Collins »

AirForceOne

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 12:28:25 AM »
Me and my Impala had the same love/hate nonsense, but my issues were all electrical.  That's a dope Neon though, any stronger upgrade for the timing belts?

Collins

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 01:59:17 PM »
Yep the old. Timing belt was fucked up due to the past timing gears wearing to a sharp point in about 15 000km    that was an oem belt  now I'm. Running a Kevlar gates racing  belt

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

speedy_2

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 05:33:06 PM »
500 WHP?  Please post some ricer reactions when you smoke some of them. :lol: 

Collins

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 08:14:52 PM »
500 WHP?  Please post some ricer reactions when you smoke some of them. :lol:
Caught a z06 sleeping on the line then he couldn't reel me in.  This was with my timing off 5 degrees for exhaust cam.  24.5 slicks on race gas 24 lbs.  No launch control and I had to let off the throttle 100% in order to shift because I was raving above what the factory ecm wot box allows. 

https://youtu.be/tNDyMnnd5fQ

Collins

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 08:15:32 PM »
If you listen close you can actually hear the announcer as Iam about half track say "I don't think anyone's going to be laughing about that neon"

Collins

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 08:27:20 PM »
So when my exhaust cam walked it ended up being very slight valve contact.  But the weird part was 60 psi compression yet less then 20% loss on leak Down.   Tore the head off rolled the valves on glass, no sign of damage, ran a pattern on em looked good spun in a drill looked good.  After being confused took it to a guy who does head work the valves were minority bent but the head was OK!

And here's the most recent dyno sheet  still needs more timing added to the tune

Collins

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 02:52:24 PM »
well here is a quick bit of update.

after the car survived running from the wildfires aka my home and car survived. I had a transmission issue, trans dropped and shift selector replaced.

My buddy Kyle is doing vlog stuff on boostedlifestyle on youtube.

Video of him replacing parts while I was working 30 straight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6gcWjnxgUE

well after that had an issue which lead to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA9z7dYjG70

rotating assemble is now being sent 7 hours south to machine shop and i'll be waiting word on if the crank is ok and if the cost isn't too insane i'll get  machine work done, then rebearing and reassemble and continue to strive for my goals!

on a side note, the guy who does a lot of work for me and does these videos has a stock block and head 2jz mk4 supra. 6266 single turbo setup, fuel system and a haltech ecm.

dumped some race gas in we did some street pulls added a  bit more boost and some more timing and he ended up going 10.6@131 in a stock suspension, stock motor supra! pretty insane!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZAMnypXLTA
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 03:01:58 PM by Collins »

Collins

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 10:37:23 PM »
crank wasn't worth saving, I picked up another oem crank from a motor that dropped a valve. rotating assembly is gone to the engine builder for spec on bearings, I ordered all the gaskets and shit needed to put it back together. New oilpump new oil pickup tube now the waiting game begins. Getting bent over on bad US vs CND funds sucks ahha

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 11:22:09 PM »
You have way more patience than me... I would have sold that project off long ago with all those valve replacements and other issues. Looks like you're having a blast with it though  :drivin:

Collins

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 11:23:45 PM »
im learning quite a bit between me a friends, I had never done head work...or bottom end work.

I have goals for the car, I want to see 500whp and an 11.49 pass (get kicked off the track) then I can be done with it. Its a love hate relationship though jeeezus.

here's a more recent video of pulling the bottom end apart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA9z7dYjG70
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 11:26:43 PM by Collins »

Collins

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2017, 11:27:57 PM »
I just ordered the new top end gasket kit, bottom end gasket kit. DCR big filter kit to eliminate the cooler that caused the spun bearing. Also ordered a bigger oil pump. time to up the boost!

then it'll be break in time and then it needs a re tune, going to change over to HP tuners from diablo I think. Give it a basemap myself then head 4-6 hours south for some time on a dyno and get it turned up and dialed in for spring.   at the end of the day...its a neon, it'll get winter driven if its ready in time haha.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 11:35:31 PM by Collins »

Collins

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2017, 03:48:32 PM »
well guess i'll update!

car is now up and running! on a break in boost level (waste gate spring) running 14psi car is working great, going to toss a few more hundred KM on it then drop the oil to inspect for shavings.

motor got a new rod, all new bearings, a new crank and some machine work, new rings and a basic freshin up of the bottom end! i am hoping to have it working good enough to dump race gas in it for our towns annual fathers day car show and toss it on the dyno and try to beat my previous best of 426whp. (we live in a small town nearest dyno shop is 4.5 hours south, this event brings a mobile dyno so its kind of a big deal) all in all it was an interesting process ide never gotten into bottom end stuff, and i must say without the help of some amazing friends this thing would have been set on fire long ago!

Not a bad 31st bday present, got the car running and driving under its own power for the first time in 9 months!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBxqhTqAUaA