Author Topic: [Movie] You're Next  (Read 3236 times)

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
[Movie] You're Next
« on: September 01, 2014, 04:42:18 AM »
When I first saw the previews for this movie, I figured it was just another cheesy stalkers/home invasion movie trying the ride the wave generated by the (excellent) movie The Strangers. But all that slick marketing was basically trying to sell an other wise really good thriller as something else. Sure it does contain lots of horror tropes, and yes there are a few cheap startle scares, but once shit really starts going bad, the tone of the film makes a noticeable shift. The characters for the most part are written in a realistic way, and you can sympathize with them when they get thrust into this bizarre situation. Then the twists begin, one of them really changes the game, and gives you cause to actually root for the characters to survive instead of ticking off the minutes untl the next one dies like in a tyical slasher. Then more twists happen (they're sorta foreshadowed, and a few are predictable, but for the most part I enjoyed them, they really did help set this movie apart from most of the reheaed, rehased "horror" crap that's been coming out lately) and you start questioning the various characters and their motivations and you don't exactlknow which one to root for. The end took me some what by surprise even though it sort of followed the standard "last girl" trope, they even throw a quick wrench into that....I saw the actual "end" coming before it happened, but it was still a satistying conclusion to the movie.

8/10
Go in to it expecting a gory cat and mouse thriller instead of a typical stalker/slasher flick and you probably won't be disappointed.
(click to show/hide)
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

dotCom

• Super Administrator
  • rocks fall, EVERYONE DIES
Re: [Movie] You're Next
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 12:01:29 AM »
This is on Netflix and I want to watch it. Maybe I will tonight.

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it. - Luke McKinney

Screw-Rice

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 01:02:35 AM »
Meaty...you owe me 90 minutes.

Horrible...horrible movie.

Cheesy as hell, bad acting and extremely predictable. Only upside was I didn't pay anything to watch this. Always up for a a good (bad) horror movie but this just sucked.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 02:57:43 PM »
Really? I thought it was really good...but then again maybe that's because I went into it expecting it to be completely awful and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I did laugh my ass off at the animal OPERATORS screaming like bitches all the time when someone fought back...

His name was Meatywand.

dotCom

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 04:10:11 PM »
I don't go into these movies with high expectations. Just a need for violence.

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it. - Luke McKinney

Screw-Rice

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 04:11:18 PM »
I never have any expectations going into a horror movie..but the acting and cheesy nature was just bad.

Yeah the hit squad was pretty sad. Every little thing they screamed bloody murder.

(click to show/hide)

dotCom

• Super Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 04:27:07 PM »
You expect them to employ common sense... which is why I was getting mad at The Purge :lol:

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 04:36:19 PM »
(click to show/hide)

His name was Meatywand.

Screw-Rice

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 04:59:12 PM »
You expect them to employ common sense... which is why I was getting mad at The Purge :lol:

Oh sweet baby Jebus, The Purge. Haven't been able to bring myself to watch the second one. :lol:

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 05:13:03 PM »
I heard the second one is actually pretty entertaining....the first one was just really, really WTF is going on here. I would have offed my own crotch dropping and gotten away with it if they would compromised my bad ass OPSEC during that shitfest....

His name was Meatywand.

dotCom

• Super Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 06:00:10 PM »
I heard the second one is actually pretty entertaining....the first one was just really, really WTF is going on here. I would have offed my own crotch dropping and gotten away with it if they would compromised my bad ass OPSEC during that shitfest....

NO SHIT. "Honey, we failed. Let's Purge them and try again."

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 06:01:04 PM »
Basically, I can see The Purge being less what the movies are about and more so just a bunch of seriously "late term" abortions :lol:

His name was Meatywand.

Screw-Rice

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 06:52:30 PM »
Basically, I can see The Purge being less what the movies are about and more so just a bunch of seriously "late term" abortions :lol:

:lol:

Reminds me of an awkward convo years back. Talking to a girl I worked with about the dumb stuff her sister would do. I made the comment of if it were my kid, they would be sold to gypsies or put up for adoption immediately. This set an older lady off about your children are your blood and you could never give them away. Seeing my chance to make it worse, I told her I could easily give away any kid who went emo or was just too dumb for the bloodline. Thought she was going to have a heart attack as she walked off yelling and screaming.  :lol:

As for The Purge, it would have been a very short movie if it were me directing. Would have turned over the guy and my dumb shit kid as a "my bad" for him messing up their plans. :lol:

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 07:06:03 PM »
Basically....one of my haunt builders worked on The Purge: Live deal that they did in conjunction with the last movie, and holy fucking shit it sounded super bad ass. It was basically a totally narrative driven, small group "haunt" type show. I really wish I would have know they were doing it in NOLA so I could have checked it out.

His name was Meatywand.